In the early years of the telephone industry, there were many small local companies that sprang up to accommodate the desire of rural residents to be connected by telephone.
When a 19th-century low-post bedstead was offered to Grey Roots this year, and we heard about its tragic story, the Collections department at the museum took it into the collection without hesitation.
Until 1860, the only dock in Owen Sound was Boyd’s Wharf, owned by the government and located just outside the mouth of the Sydenham River. The Owen Sound Harbour, as it is located today, was inaccessible, due to a sandbar that ran across the mouth of the river.
Black citizens have been a part of Grey County, since the very first non-Native settlers arrived in the northernmost part of the Queen's Bush. Some of these early pioneers were born in Canada, whilst others had only recently slipped the bonds of slavery in the Upper South.