1920s Timber Framed Barn

The rock elm timbers of this 86 foot x 56 foot barn were originally framed in 1907 on a farm in the former Sydenham Township (Lot 9, Concession 11). 

The barn, with a single gable, double purlin, cedar-shingled roof, is deemed to be an unusually large example of its type. It was reconstructed at the County of Grey-Owen Sound Museum site in 1978-1979, to preserve an example of one of Grey County's bank barns, which were rapidly disappearing. Once complete, it was used to house and display a collection of primarily horse-drawn farm vehicles and agricultural equipment, a function which continues today.

The building was dismantled board by board and moved to Moreston Heritage Village in October of 2006. It was reassembled by local Mennonites on a new foundation.
At that time, it was clad with new wooden siding and roofed with corrugated aluminum. In the summer of 2013, the lower floor was completed with a cement floor and gutters, stalls, and a litter carrier, all based on historical working barn configurations.

Take a tour

Click on the locations / buildings below to learn about the Heritage Village

The Big Red ShedBlue Water Garage1920's George Rice Blacksmith Shop1920's Herb Miller Sawmill1920's School House1920's Timber Framed Barn1920's Farm House1920's Orange Hall1886 Log House1920's Good Cheer BandstandOutdoor AmphitheatreCarpentry Shop1853 Log CabinMoore & Muir Engine Works1897 CN Caboose1925 Arnott General StoreThe Grey Monument

View 3D Model of Moreston Village (30 MB)


3D model created in collaboration with St. Mary's High School


Share this content