1850s Blacksmith Shop

This single-storey, cedar log structure was built in 1972, using logs from a small barn found in Derby Township, Grey County.

In 1967, the George Rice family made a generous donation of blacksmithing equipment to the County of Grey-Owen Sound Museum. Museum staff and volunteers constructed this shop, along with a replica forge, as a demonstration building for these and other donated items.

The building was moved to Moreston Heritage Village in early 2006, and another replica forge was built into it that year. It is positioned near the museum's Log Cabin and is interpreted as an 1850s blacksmith shop.

Take a tour

Click on the locations / buildings below to learn about the Heritage Village

Large Agricultural Equipment and Historic Vehicle Display Building Blue Water Garage George Rice Blacksmith Shop Herb Miller Sawmill 1920's School House 1920's Timber Framed Barn 1920's Ontario Farmhouse Orange Hall 1886 Log House 1920's Good Cheer Bandstand Outdoor Amphitheatre Pioneer Blacksmith Shop 1853 Pioneer Log Cabin Moore & Muir Engine Works

View 3D Model of Moreston Village (30 MB)


3D model created in collaboration with St. Mary's High School

Share this content