1853 Log Cabin

Museum staff and volunteers built this cabin in 1971-1972, using beams and logs salvaged from various local structures dated to the mid-1800s. The mantlepiece within was salvaged from an old home in Owen Sound.

The cabin is a single-storey log structure with a storage loft. The large stone fireplace is of the style built by Irish settlers who sought to recreate what they knew from the “old country”. This type of one-room dwelling would have housed an entire family, no matter the number of family members.

The log cabin was moved to Moreston Heritage Village in March 2006. Here, costumed interpreters depict the lifestyle of an early Grey County settler.

Take a tour

Click on the locations / buildings below to learn about the Heritage Village

Large Agricultural Equipment and Historic Vehicle Display Building Blue Water Garage George Rice Blacksmith Shop Herb Miller Sawmill 1920's School House 1920's Timber Framed Barn 1920's Ontario Farmhouse Orange Hall 1886 Log House 1920's Good Cheer Bandstand Outdoor Amphitheatre Pioneer Blacksmith Shop 1853 Pioneer Log Cabin Moore & Muir Engine Works

View 3D Model of Moreston Village (30 MB)


3D model created in collaboration with St. Mary's High School

Share this content