1920s Blue Water Garage
This board and batten structure, designed by A. W. Landen, and built in 1989-1992, has a small office area, two service bays, and a single indoor grease pit.
Museum staff and the Blue Water Branch of the Antique and Classic Car Club of Canada had been planning a 1940s-style, "White Rose" rural automotive garage for the County of Grey-Owen Sound Museum site throughout the 1980s. Many rural garages evolved from blacksmith shops, so the garage was to be placed near the museum's blacksmith shop so that visitors could see the similarities and changes in technology and tools. It was also thought that it would be a good idea to save some local automotive artefacts and have a display context for them.
This board and batten structure, designed by A. W. Landen, and built in 1989-1992, has a small office area, two service bays, and a single indoor grease pit. Various donors have provided vintage automotive equipment to display, and there is a gravity-type "clear-view" gasoline pump outdoors that helps evoke the 1930s, when gasoline was 25 cents a gallon. Grey Roots also has a 1936 Chevrolet tow truck, and a 1930 Ford Model A Deluxe Coupe that are often on exhibit. The building was moved to Moreston Heritage Village on November 10, 2005 and opened to public visitation on May 26, 2007 at the Blue Water Car Club Annual Inspection.
Owen Sound had the fourth example of a gasoline car built in Canada before 1900. Mr. Alfred J. Frost ordered a carriage from the Rutherford Carriage House and added an engine to it, that he had ordered from France. His "horseless carriage" had a top speed of 18 miles an hour. Unfortunately, the eventual fate of this early automobile is unknown. In 1914, Mr. Frost was a founder of the Owen Sound Motor Club. In the 1910s, automobiles still tended to be owned by doctors or businessmen who could afford them, but by the 1920s, there were many more vehicles in this area. Many Grey County families used to put their cars up on blocks for winter storage (to save the tires) and used horse-drawn cutters for travelling in the wintertime, up into the 1940s.