1920s Good Cheer Bandstand

Designed by architect G. M. Diemert and constructed in Moreston Heritage Village in 2009, the bandstand officially opened to the public in September 2010. Construction of the bandstand was made possible by the Scenic City Order of Good Cheer, a local not-for-profit group.

The octagonal bandstand is topped with an eye-catching cupola. It provides a stage for educational programming, local musicians, actors, theatre companies and dancers to educate, entertain and inform visitors. Built in electrical power allows the bandstand to be lit for evening performances.

Historically, Grey County and Owen Sound had several bandstands (such as those at Meaford and Neustadt), which were lighter, thinner, and often taller. Some included a storage room for band equipment underneath. Due to today's building codes, the Good Cheer Bandstand is a more substantial version, able to support large groups and endure high winds. Unlike 1900s bandstands, the railings can be removed, making the structure accessible to all.

Take a tour

Click on the locations / buildings below to learn about the Heritage Village

Large Agricultural Equipment and Historic Vehicle Display Building Blue Water Garage George Rice Blacksmith Shop Herb Miller Sawmill 1920's School House 1920's Timber Framed Barn 1920's Ontario Farmhouse Orange Hall 1886 Log House 1920's Good Cheer Bandstand Outdoor Amphitheatre Pioneer Blacksmith Shop 1853 Pioneer Log Cabin Moore & Muir Engine Works

View 3D Model of Moreston Village (30 MB)


3D model created in collaboration with St. Mary's High School

Share this content