1920s Ontario Farmhouse
This is an altered one-and-a-half storey, wood-framed Ontario farm house, originally built in 1892. Its original location was Lot 23, Concession 10, St. Vincent Twp., Grey County, where it had been home to the William Rows family. It was vacant after 1943 and was purchased by the County of Grey-Owen Sound Museum from the Ministry of Natural Resources for one dollar in 1976. It was floated along Highway 26 to its new location at the County of Grey - Owen Sound Museum in Owen Sound. After extensive work by staff and volunteers, which took about ten years, it was restored as much as possible, and given a front verandah. Its clapboard-sides did not have today's paint colours. The rear of the house has a board and batten summer kitchen and woodshed. The farmhouse opened to the public in the summer of 1985, and was interpreted as a 1910s rural farmhouse. After being moved to Moreston Heritage Village on June 7, 2006, it required further extensive restoration work, and reopened in the summer of 2008. Visitors are welcomed by costumed volunteers who interpret the building as a 1920s farmhouse.
Museum staff built this wood-framed, board and batten structure to replicate a farm outhouse. It was built in 1991 or 1992. It is not intended for use, but was made to add visual authenticity to the period building environs.