1920's School House Inspired by S.S. #1 Derby
All across Grey County, the one room school house was an important part of rural living. The school provided a space for public gatherings and even, in some cases, a place for worship. The building of a school was a community project and a much celebrated addition to any district.
The SS#1 Derby replica was built by volunteers and museum staff. Construction began in 2007 and was finished in 2009, with the building officially opened on July 1, 2010. For a peek at the installation of the school's bell tower, check out this video [external site]!
The school house replicates as closely as possible the 1880s brick schoolhouse built by John Middlebro' and Sons, but Moreston's version has some modern amenities such as in-floor heating and a full basement. Mr. Middlebro's structure was triple-bricked, whereas only a brick veneer is used for the replica. The schoolhouse is a joint project of the Retired Teachers of Ontario, and the Grey County Retired Women Teacher's Association who held many fundraising activities. Construction technology students from Saugeen District Secondary School, supervised by teacher Bud Halpin, framed and clad the building.
The building is a locale for educational programming in Moreston, and is also used for special event performances and meetings. It is furnished with vintage school-related artefacts to re-create the appearance of a 1920s rural schoolroom.