1948 Bluewater Garage
With a small office area, two service bays, and an indoor grease pit, this 1940s-style, White Rose rural automotive garage was designed with input from the Bluewater Branch of the Antique and Classic Car Club of Canada. Completed in 1992, its first life was at the County of Grey-Owen Sound Museum site.
The building was moved to Moreston Heritage Village in late 2005 and opened to public visitation in the spring of 2007.
Many rural garages evolved from blacksmith shops, so the garage was placed near the museum's “smithy” so that visitors could understand the similarities and changes in technology and tools when horse-drawn carriages and early automobiles existed at the same time and had to share roads and mechanics!
Donors have provided vintage automotive equipment, and there is a gravity-type "clear-view" gasoline pump out front. Grey Roots’ 1936 Chevrolet tow truck and 1930 Ford Model A Deluxe Coupe are often on exhibit.
Fun fact: Many Grey County families used to put their cars “up on blocks” for the winter (to save the tires), employing horse-drawn sleighs for travelling in the wintertime right up until the 1940s when roads and snowplowing were greatly improved.