The Grey Monument

During the First World War (1914-1918), Grey County sent thousands of citizens to the battlefields of Europe to serve King and Country. Many never returned to their homes, and all were forever changed by their experiences. Life in Grey County was never the same.

The Grey Monument in Moreston Heritage Village honours and recognizes the three units from Grey County that served in this war: the 31st Regiment and the 147th and 248th Battalions.

Centrally located in Moreston, the monument serves as a poignant reminder of the effect that the First World War had, and continues to have, on Grey County. With no surviving veterans from this war, it is important to find meaningful ways to educate and remind Canadians how this conflict shaped the development of Canada through the 1920s and beyond.

Grey Roots unveiled the completed monument at a public ceremony on November 2, 2019.

Thank you to Veteran’s Affairs, Sanderson Monuments, and our many donors for supporting this project.

 

 

WWI Soldier
To learn more about the local men and women who served in the First World War, please see:
Style 1

Take a tour

Click on the locations / buildings below to learn about the Heritage Village

Large Agricultural Equipment and Historic Vehicle Display Building Blue Water Garage George Rice Blacksmith Shop Herb Miller Sawmill 1920's School House 1920's Timber Framed Barn 1920's Ontario Farmhouse Orange Hall 1886 Log House 1920's Good Cheer Bandstand Outdoor Amphitheatre Pioneer Blacksmith Shop 1853 Pioneer Log Cabin Moore & Muir Engine Works

View 3D Model of Moreston Village (30 MB)


3D model created in collaboration with St. Mary's High School

Share this content