Loyal Orange Lodge

Grey Roots’ Orange Hall is a recreation of Loyal Orange Lodge No. 67, the first Orange lodge organized in Grey County. Lodge No. 67 opened on November 5, 1847 in the village of Sydenham (now Owen Sound). The lodge at Grey Roots is dressed to represent a hall in the 1920s.

The Loyal Orange Institution, more commonly known as the Orange Order, is a Protestant fraternal organization. With British settlement, the Orange Order’s membership in Canada grew quickly, and an Orange lodge was established in almost every town and village by the end of the 1800s. Lodges served as community meeting places, social centres, employment agencies and immigrant re-settlement organizations.

 

Related Story

The Orange in Grey

Orangeism is intertwined with the history of Britain, Ireland and the Reformation and began to form in 1688, when James II came to the throne. One of his goals was to reestablish Roman Catholicism as the major religion in Britain. A coal

Take a tour

Click on the locations / buildings below to learn about the Heritage Village

Large Agricultural Equipment and Historic Vehicle Display Building Blue Water GarageGeorge Rice Blacksmith ShopHerb Miller Sawmill1920's School House1920's Timber Framed Barn1920's Ontario FarmhouseOrange Hall1886 Log House1920's Good Cheer BandstandOutdoor AmphitheatrePioneer Blacksmith Shop1853 Pioneer Log CabinMoore & Muir Engine Works

View 3D Model of Moreston Village (30 MB)

 

3D model created in collaboration with St. Mary's High School

 

Share this content