The Grey Monument

During the First World War (1914-1918), Grey County sent thousands of citizens to the battlefields of Europe to serve King and Country. Many never returned to their homes, and all were forever changed by their experiences. Life in Grey County was never the same.

The Grey Monument in Moreston Heritage Village honours and recognizes the three units from Grey County that served in this war: the 31st Regiment and the 147th and 248th Battalions.

Centrally located in Moreston, the monument serves as a poignant reminder of the effect that the First World War had, and continues to have, on Grey County. With no surviving veterans from this war, it is important to find meaningful ways to educate and remind Canadians how this conflict shaped the development of Canada through the 1920s and beyond.

Grey Roots unveiled the completed monument at a public ceremony on November 2, 2019.

Thank you to Veteran’s Affairs, Sanderson Monuments, and our many donors for supporting this project.

 

 

WWI Soldier
To learn more about the local men and women who served in the First World War, please see:
Style 1

Take a tour

Click on the locations / buildings below to learn about the Heritage Village

The Big Red ShedBlue Water Garage1920's George Rice Blacksmith Shop1920's Herb Miller Sawmill1920's School House1920's Timber Framed Barn1920's Farm House1920's Orange Hall1886 Log House1920's Good Cheer BandstandOutdoor AmphitheatreCarpentry Shop1853 Log CabinMoore & Muir Engine Works1897 CN Caboose1925 Arnott General StoreThe Grey Monument

View 3D Model of Moreston Village (30 MB)

 

3D model created in collaboration with St. Mary's High School

 

Share this content