Pioneer Blacksmith Shop

This single-storey, cedar log structure was built by museum staff and volunteers in 1972, using logs from a small barn found in Derby Township in Grey County. The County of Grey-Owen Sound Museum (1967-2003) received a collection of blacksmithing equipment from the George Rice family in 1967, and needed a display and a replica forge demonstration area for the pieces and other blacksmithing items that were later donated. The building was moved to Moreston Heritage Village on March 21, 2006, and another replica forge was built into it that year. As it is positioned near the museum's Log Cabin structure, we now interpret it as an 1850s blacksmith shop.

Share this content.

Take a tour

Click on the locations / buildings below to learn about the Heritage Village

Large Agricultural Equipment and Historic Vehicle Display Building Blue Water Garage George Rice Blacksmith Shop Herb Miller Sawmill 1920's School House 1920's Timber Framed Barn 1920's Ontario Farmhouse Orange Hall 1886 Log House 1920's Good Cheer Bandstand Outdoor Amphitheatre Pioneer Blacksmith Shop 1853 Pioneer Log Cabin Moore & Muir Engine Works

View 3D Model of Moreston Village (30 MB)


3D model created in collaboration with St. Mary's High School